- People make something that has a flat top surface, and people use it like this: When people sit near it, they can put their legs below the flat surface, and they can see and touch food or other things on top of this surface.
- People write groups of words and numbers on a flat surface, and inside each group, the words and numbers on each side say something about the same thing.
- The narrow part of many animal bodies that is connected behind the back where the back legs are connected.
- The part of many animal bodies that is behind all other parts of the animal when it moves.
take, took, taken =
- (See 11-27).
- You start to control something.
- Do something.
- Do something with.
- Do something to.
- Say something.
- Say things about something.
- (See 7-27).
- The kinds of things you enjoy.
- The kinds of things you decide to do that other people can feel are good or bad.
- The government rules say you need to give part of the money you have to the government.
- Make someone do something difficult.
taxi = When you want to move from one place to another place that is not far, this business will use a small vehicle to carry you. You give money to this business, and they will control their vehicle to carry you where you want to be. This vehicle cannot carry many people at the same time, but at many different times, this business uses the same vehicle to move different people to different places.
tea = This kind of plant has flat green parts that very many people use to make something they drink. You put these plant parts into a container, and you put very hot liquid water into the same container. This makes the water taste different, and people enjoy drinking it. Some people use other plant parts to make this.
teach, taught = Cause someone to learn something.
team = Group of several people or animals that tries to do something, each trying to do part of the work.
tear, tore, torn =
- You damage something, like this: You pull one part of a piece of paper or cloth towards one side, and you pull another part towards the other side. This causes these two parts not to be connected. These two parts were connected before you pulled them.
- Salt water that moves out of your body near your eye. This can happen when you are sad.
- When something moves very quickly.
- To do this kind of work or use this kind of machine, you need to learn many things that most people do not know.
- Words that people use when they do a kind of work, but most people who do not do this kind of work do not know what these words mean.
telephone = Kind of machine that people make. You use one of these machines in one place, and another person uses one of these machines in another place far from you. When you say something into this machine, it causes electricity to move to the other machine, and this causes the other person to hear what you said. You can use this to say things to the other person, and they can use it to say things to you.
television = This machine uses electricity to show pictures and make sounds, and another machine far from here uses electricity to control these pictures and sounds, and because of this, you can use this machine to see and hear the same things as someone can see and hear in another place far from here.
tell, told =
- (See 4-19).
- Something you see or hear or feel causes you to know something.
temper = What you are likely to do when you are angry. Some people become angry quickly and are likely to do and say things that hurt people and damage things. When other people become angry, they are likely to control what they do and not hurt people or things.
- What you measure to know if one place is hot or cold more than another place.
- When your body is hot more than at most other times.
- Building where people say things to one or more gods. They try to show the gods that they love them and think they are good.
- The flat part on each side of your head between your eye and the top of the part you use to hear.
temporary = Something that happens, is true or is used for a short time, but not more than a short time.
- This is likely to happen.
- You are careful to look at some people or things for some time. You do things that are good for them and try to prevent things that are bad for them.
tendency = This is likely to happen.
- This part of your body hurts when something touches it.
- This is not hard. You can easily cut it, or you can easily damage it if you press it.
- You are careful not to hurt someone.
tennis = Game that two or four people play. Not far above the ground, there is something long made using string. One or two people are on each side of this string. Each person holds something and uses it to try to hit a small round thing to make it move above this string to the other side.
tense = When a word says something happens and it tells you when it happens: now, before now or after now.
tent = Something made using cloth that one or more people can be inside. People use string and long hard narrow things to hold the cloth above the people inside. People sleep inside these things when they are in places far from buildings.
- Very bad for someone.
- Causing terror.
terror = You feel very much fear, like when something very bad is happening and you think it is likely to cause you to die.
- You want to know what a person or thing is likely to do if some kind of thing happens. You want to know if this person or thing is likely to do what you want. You cause this kind of thing to happen, and you see what this person or thing does. After this, you think this person or thing can do and is likely to do something similar when this kind of thing happens.
- You look at and do things to something for some time, because this will help you know if something you think about this thing is true.
- (See more than 1-15).
- (See less than 4-20).
- You are comparing two things and saying one is more and the other is less.
- These others, but not this one.
- (See 3-01).
- This other thing.
- The one less near to you.
- Because of this.
- (See 3-09).
- (See the other 1-04).
- (See the same 1-05).
- (See the body of 2-27).
- These kinds of things.
theatre, (theater) = Building or place where many people can sit to see and hear something they enjoy, like this: A group of people plays music or tells a story where each person says and does things that sound and look like other people that are part of the story.
theirs = This thing belongs to them.
- These same people who do this and not others.
- These same people or things.
- (See 4-08).
- (See if this then 1-21).
- At this time.
- If this is true.
- (See there is 1-14).
- In this place.
- Not here but in this other place.
- In the place someone said something about.
- In this place where you can see it.
- Because of this.
- You know this other thing because of this.
- (See 1-03).
- The things more near to you.
- Not thin.
- There is much of this in a place.
- Moving through this quickly is not easy.
thief, thieves = You want to have something another person has, and you decide to do something bad: You move this thing to a place where you can use it, but where they cannot use it after this. They do not stop you because they do not see you move it, or because they think you will hurt them. The government rules do not allow you to do this.
- (See 7-03).
- There is some but not much of this in a place.
- Moving through this quickly is easy.
think, thought = (See 2-07).
- One more after two others.
- One of three parts of one thing. Each part is the same.
thirst = When you feel thirsty.
thirsty = Feeling you want or need to drink.
- (See 1-03).
- The one more near to you.
- Like the thing you showed or said something about.
thorough = When you do something, you are careful to think about and do all parts of this.
- These other things.
- The things less near to you.
- If you know this one thing is true, you are likely to think this other thing is not true, but this other thing is true.
- The one of a thousand that is after all the others.
- One of a thousand parts of one thing. Each part is the same.
- What you say when you threaten someone.
- Something that you think is likely to hurt someone or something.
- When you tell someone that you will hurt them if they do not do what you want.
- When something is likely to happen that will hurt someone or something.
- When you think someone wants to hurt you.
- When something bad is likely to happen.
throat = The part of your body that food moves through when it moves from your mouth and down into another part of your body. When you breathe, air moves through this same part.
- (See 4-22).
- Inside all parts of this.
- At all the same times that this happens.
- After this happens.
- Because of.
throw, threw, thrown =
- You move your hand quickly to make something you are holding move quickly. Then you stop holding this thing, and it does not stop moving: It moves quickly through the air for a short time.
- You put something in a place quickly and not carefully.
thumb = Each hand has five long narrow parts. This one part is less long and less narrow than the other four. People often move this one to make it touch the other four.
thunder = Very loud sound you hear a short time after you see light from electricity moving through the sky. This can sound like something exploding.
- Because of this.
- The same as this.
- Like this.
- You buy a piece of paper, and then when you give it to someone, they will allow you to do something, like see things inside a building or move to a place inside a vehicle.
- Piece of paper that shows the amount of money you need to give the government because you did something the government rules do not allow.
- Piece of paper that shows the amount of money you need to buy something.
- Piece of paper that shows the names someone wants you to choose to be part of the government.
tidy = You put things in the places where you carefully decided to put them, and you make things look clean.
tie, tying =
- Cause a piece of string to be connected to something, like this: You put the string around something, make the string have the shape of a small circle, and then put one end of the string through this small circle. You can do something similar using a long narrow piece of cloth.
- Prevent something moving or being used.
- When one thing needs or causes another thing.
- When you compare people who are trying to do something like win a game, and each does the same. There is not one who does more.
tiger = Kind of cat that is big more than a person. There are many long narrow places on the surface of its body where its hair is black. Between these black places on the surface of its body, its hair is like the colour you see when you mix yellow and brown.
- When something cannot move because another thing is touching it and holding it in this place.
- When something solid cannot easily move inside or out of something because the place inside this thing is small.
- When you hold something like a string and you pull one end far from the other end to make it straight and not able to move.
- When each part of this thing is very near to the other parts.
tin = Kind of white metal. People use this metal to cover containers made using a different kind of metal, like this: People make this white metal very hot to cause it to become a liquid, and then they put a metal container into this liquid for a short time. This puts a thin amount of this white metal on the surface of the container. People use these containers to contain food.
- When something makes you feel tired.
- Something people make using a liquid from inside a kind of tree. People make this liquid hot, causing it to become solid, but not hard. People use this to cover the parts of wheels that touch the ground when a vehicle moves.
- When you feel you need to sleep.
- When you want to stop doing something. You can feel like this after doing something difficult for a long time.
tiring = Making you feel tired.
- The name of something you wrote or something you made.
- Word people say before your name that tells people what kind of work you do.
- Something you have showing that the government says this place or thing belongs to you and does not belong to another person.
- (See near to 1-24).
- (See say to 1-29).
- (See belong to 2-02).
- (See do to 2-04).
- (See happen to 2-05).
- (See move to 2-18).
- (See connect to 5-24).
- (See married to 7-22).
- (See give to 8-13).
- Something was not in this place before, but now it is in this place because it moved.
- More near.
- Because of.
- Because it can cause this.
- Where something is connected.
- Something that is compared.
- The person you tell.
- Not more than.
- Not the thing doing something, but the one it changes.
- This person has something now that they did not have before.
- Says the kind of thing that happens, but not who does it or when.
tobacco = Kind of plant that has big flat green parts that people dry and use like this: Some people make things using these parts and burn them near their mouth because they want to breathe the gas this makes. Some people do this several times each day.
- The day that is happening now.
- Now and a short time before and after now.
toe = One of the five narrow parts of your foot that you can move.
- In the same place.
- At the same time.
- Each moves more near to the others.
- Become part of the same thing.
- Doing the same thing.
tomorrow = Not the day happening now, but the day that happens after this and before all other days.
tongue = The long part inside your mouth that moves when you say something and that you use to taste food inside your mouth.
tonight = The time happening now or a short time after now when there is not much light in a place and people cannot see the sun and most people in this place are sleeping.
- More than what you want.
- More than what is needed to prevent this.
- Another one like this.
- Saying this cannot happen is not true.
tooth, teeth = One of several parts of your body inside your mouth that are hard and white like bones and that you use to press and cut food when you eat.
- (See 6-09).
- Good more than all others.
- Something that covers this.
- Something people make because children enjoy using it like this: One very small part of its centre touches the surface below it when all the other parts move quickly around its centre.
- All parts of this.
- The number of things inside all of these groups, counting each thing inside each group.
- (See 1-22).
- Able to feel things using the surface of your body.
- Causing someone to feel something.
tour = For some time, you move to several different places where you want to see or do things.
tourist = Because you want to see things in other places, you move for a short time to one or more places that are not near where you live at most times. You do this to enjoy seeing and doing things in these places.
- (See 4-05).
- More near to.
- Thinking about.
- Will help cause.
- A short time before.
tower = Building or part of a building that is very tall. This is tall more than other things near it.
town = Place where there are many buildings where people live and where people buy things.
toy = Something that children use when they play.
- Marks that a vehicle or animal makes when it moves on a surface. After this, you can see these marks and know where it moved.
- Place where people mark or change the surface of the ground to show where they want someone or something to move.
- People put two very long narrow pieces of metal in places where they want a vehicle to move. When the vehicle moves, its wheels touch these long metal pieces.
- You give me something you have, and I give you something I have.
- You do something I want, and I do something you want.
- The kind of work you often do.
- When people buy things from businesses.
traditional = For a long time, a group of people does these things and thinks they are important. The group helps their children learn to do these same things and to think these same things are important.
- Many people or vehicles moving through a place.
- When people or vehicles carry things from one place to another place where there are people who want to buy them.
- People make this kind of vehicle that moves on top of two very long narrow pieces of metal. A machine inside this vehicle makes it move. It can pull several vehicles behind it, like this: It is connected to one vehicle behind it, and each of these vehicles can be connected to another one behind it. Each of these vehicles has wheels that touch the two very long metal pieces when they move. People put these very long metal pieces in places where they want these vehicles to move.
- When you help someone learn to do something.
- When you are training to do something.
- Because you want to be able to do something, you try many times to do this thing or other similar things. After you do this for a long time, it can help you learn to do the thing you want to do and can make you able to do it well.
- When you help someone learn to do something.
translate = You are part of a group of people who uses some words and rules to make sentences. Another group of people uses different words and rules to make sentences. Someone from this other group says something using their words and rules. You say something that means the same thing, but you use the words and rules your group uses. You can do this because you know the words and rules that the other group uses.
transparent = When you are on one side of this solid or liquid thing, you can see things that are on the other side, because light can move through this solid or liquid thing.
- This is something people make and put in a small place that animals move through. After this, when an animal tries to move through this place, this thing stops the animal and holds it in this place. The animal cannot move out of this place.
- When you move into a place, but you cannot move out of this place. You were not expecting this to happen.
- Move from one place to another.
- Move far.
- Move through one or more places.
- You do this kind of thing to someone or something.
- You do something to someone to try to make them healthy.
- You do something to this thing to try to make it change and become more like what you want.
- Someone does something good for you, and you enjoy it very much, because something like this does not happen to you often.
treatment = What you do when you treat someone or something.
tremble = When something moves like this: It quickly moves up and then down, or it quickly moves towards one side and then towards the other. It moves like this many times, but it does not move far. Fear or cold can make parts of your body move like this.
tribe = Group containing many people. This group exists for a long time. Most of these people and their parents are part of the same big family, and someone from this family leads the group. These people use the same words and live near the same place. These people do and expect many similar things.
- Something causes you to think something is true, but it is not true.
- You make someone think something is true that you know is not true. You do this because it causes something good for you or bad for this other person.
- When other people do this kind of thing, it can be difficult, but you learned to do something that makes this look easy.
- When you move to a place that is not near because you want to do things in this place for some time.
- When you are moving your body using your feet, but one of your feet does not move where you expect because something stops it. This makes you start to fall.
tropical = Hot places where plants and animals live. At some time each year, each of these places is more near to the sun than all other places where plants and animals live. This makes these places hot.
- This is bad for someone.
- This makes something more difficult.
- When bad things are likely to happen.
- This makes you think about something you fear.
trousers = Kind of clothing that covers your legs and part of your body above your legs. There are two parts that are like cloth tubes. You put one leg through one of these tubes and the other leg through the other tube. The top parts of these tubes connect between your legs and connect to more cloth around part of your body above your legs.
- (See 1-31).
- There is not part of this that is less than what you expect or want.
- The solid centre part of a tree that grows up out of the ground. The bottom of this part is touching the ground. This part is wide more than all other parts of the tree.
- Your body, but not your head or arms or legs.
- Big hard container that people can use to carry clothing or other things inside when they move far to another place.
- Very long animal nose.
- When you think this person or thing is very likely to do what is good for you.
- You very much think this is true.
- Things that are true.
- This is true.
try, tries, tried =
- (See 3-21).
- Use something for a short time to know more about it.
- Decide if someone did something the government rules do not allow.
- (See 11-12).
- Long container used to contain liquids.
- Piece of music containing several sounds. You hear each of these sound, but do not hear more than one at the same time. For some time after you hear this, you can think about what sounds you heard before and after others. This is easy to enjoy.
- When you cause a sound to become more high or low to make it sound the same as another sound.
- (See 8-02).
- Move towards one place and then change to move towards a different place.
- Become different.
- People do this when several people want to do something, but not more than one person can do it at the same time: Each person does it for a short time and then allows another person to do it.
- This happens two times: at one time and at another time.
- This amount multiplied by two.
- (See 8-06).
- Not straight.
- Kind of thing.
- People make something like this and use several at a time to mark words on a surface: When these touch a surface, each makes a mark that looks like part of a word.
- Most things are like this, if they are this kind of thing.
- What you expect because it happens like this at most times.
tyre, (tire) = Something people make using a liquid from inside a kind of tree. People make this liquid hot, causing it to become solid, but not hard. People use this to cover the parts of wheels that touch the ground when a vehicle moves.